December 18, 2010

Misadventures With Bobbi Brown

Today I went to a Bobbi Brown event at Bloomingdale's where they'd do my make up and teach me about their products. I was super excited and jumped at the idea because I've just started getting into their products and I've read all of Bobbi's books on make up, so I know she's the foremost advocate of making make up to fit a wide range of skin tones. Not to mention the event was free.

I went in with high hopes that I'd be made to look naturally beautiful, since that is what I got from Bobbi's book. Your make up isn't supposed to change you, it should still be your skin, just a little better.

Well, when I got there I met up with my make up artist and was really excited because she was a Latina and has a very similar skin tone to me. However, all I can say now is that it all went down hill from there. I was hoping to get fitted for shades that would look great on an everyday basis. What ended up happening was the make up artist not listening to what it was that I wanted and instead doing whatever she pleased. It all started out alright, with concealer and foundation but those are easy since I already knew my shade. Once we got into blush and eye shadows it was evident that this make up artist was either bored and wanted to try something new or really had no idea what she was doing.

In any case, by the end of it my skin looked ashy, the blush looked too dark and she used a dark moss eyeshadow paired with a lilac shimmer that was, to put it lightly, extremely unflattering on my skin tone. I hated everything she'd done. When she was done she looked super proud and asked if I wanted to purchase any of the products she'd used on me. The only response I could muster was that I had to think about it.

All in all that visit was a bust, but I wont let that stop me from discovering more about the brand. From me looking around after my "make over" I could see that there were many shades that I knew would look great on me, even lipsticks shades. So, I'll be back, because I honestly do believe that the brand is versatile for different skin tones, I just need to either find someone who is better at selecting shades for my olive skin or just root around the counter until I find what is right for me. So, for now I will stick to what I know; their corrector (pictured left). Their corrector in "peach" is a godsend for my never ending under eye circles.

More updates on the brand once I get some more products to write about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment